Home About Me Freebies Image Map

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Diggin' Into Next Year ~ Organization



I am so excited to be linking up with over 50 bloggers and Laura from Where the Magic Happens to bring you the Diggin' Into Next Year Blog Hop all summer long! Each week we will bring you a post about a different topic. Check out what topics are coming up in June!




So here we go! This week's blog post is all about ORGANIZATION! GAH! I probably won't win any awards for my organization skills. I'm more a "piler than a filer". I am not one of those teachers that has a clean desk. I am way to embarrassed to show you what my desk looks like at this point in the year. However, there are some things that I am great at organizing!


Filing
I know I just said that I wasn't much of a filer, but I actually do have a system for filing when I end up doing it. One of my brilliant teaching partners showed me her strategy. Instead of organizing by subject. I put all of my files in alphabetical order. I then have cardboard dividers that stick up that tell me which letters are in each area.    


Not overly pretty, but actually very effective.

Toys
Last summer I decided that I needed to do something to organize my toys, so I took pictures of them and  created labels. I put the labels on the bins as well as on the shelf where they belong.


I also love these shelves. They take up a lot of room. But I love how I can push them together so all of the toys are out of sight.




Books
Last year, I decided that I need to do something about the organization of my class library. I can't even remember how it used to be organized, all I know is that my students never put the books back in the correct place.

So I spent a week putting stickers on all of my books, and more clearly labelled all of the bins. It makes it so much easier for the students and me to keep our classroom library organized.


Desk Bins
This is by far my favourite organizational tool, and it's not even for me! Each students as a long white bin in their desk. These bins make it super easy for students to find what they are looking for. We also almost never lose pencils, or glue sticks.

 Then the bins slide easily into the students' desks.



So, my biggest change for next year is to organize my desk! Enough of the piling, I need to be a filer! Wishful thinking? We'll see! Or maybe it's time to say goodbye to the desk since I never actually sit at my desk. However if I get rid of my desk, where will I pile my stuff? hmmm.... Something to think about. 

Don't forget to stop by my friends' pages. You can access the link up through Where the Magic Happens.


Thanks for stopping by! I hope you have found some great ideas while making your way through the hop!


post signature

4 comments :

  1. I love your honesty, Emily! I, too, have thought about doing away with my teacher desk but our desks are built in so I am stuck with it....and it's HUGE! It takes up a ton of room! I loved reading your post. Stop by and read mine if you have a chance! :)
    Mrs. Olson’s Lucky Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angie! I'm an avid reader of your blog, I'm just not much of a commenter (is that a word? Spell check says its wrong...oh well). It's on my list of things to work on this summer. :)
      ~Emily

      Delete
  2. I love the bins you are using in your students' desks! Where did you find them?
    Lisa
    schmidlj@milwaukee.k12.wi.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to be a piler too, and I find myself getting flustered because I can't remember which pile I placed a piece of paper. I tend to only pile the one-sheeter type things that I get from the office, or an email I printed off. I need to figure out a way to keep that stuff organized!!!

    Theresa @ True Life I'm a Teacher!

    ReplyDelete